Countless people are affected by back pain every day. In fact, back pain is among the top reasons for doctor visits and missed work days. To maintain a healthy spine, start with good habits for a routine that becomes a healthy lifestyle. Adults and children with a healthy lifestyle are less prone to aches and pains and have a greater ability to experience their full potential. For starters, avoid smoking and hydrate. Next, incorporate this checklist of habits to maintain a healthy spine and reduce the potential for back pain and maximize the potential for success!
Try these simple tips to keep your spine in good shape:
- Stretch. Get into the habit of starting each day with some stretching. Stretching helps us to stay flexible, which in turn supports proper joint function and range of motion.
- Lift Properly. Bend at the knees and do not twist. Be mindful of your form at all times.
- Don’t over-do it at the gym. Push yourself to a comfortable level where proper form isn’t compromised.
- Keep Moving. Remember the adage “Move it or lose it.” Staying active is one of the best things you can do to preserve a healthy spine. Be sure to exercise regularly. Walking, swimming and biking are good low-impact options.
- Practice Good Posture. When seated, keep both feet on the floor, make sure that your knees and hips are level and sit up straight. Remember to be cognizant of good posture especially when using mobile devices. At the office, customize your workspace using proper ergonomics.
- Sleep Well. Avoid sleeping on your stomach and use a pillow that supports your neck. Eliminate strain on your neck and keep your spine in a natural position.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight. Being overweight is a risk factor for low back pain. Excess weight puts added stress on the muscles, tendons and ligaments of the back. Good nutrition is always a recommendation for a healthy weight and spine.
- See your Chiropractor. Regular chiropractic visits help to maintain a healthy spine by keeping the nervous system free of subluxations. Routine chiropractic care can be an important key to living a happier, pain-free life.